Friday, May 24, 2013

Those Days

It's been one of those days.

A Cake Boss marathon kind of day. A wear-your-pajamas-until-noon kind of day. A two-blog-post kind of day.

I'm home sick from school and my brother just got back from his 8th grade class trip this morning; consequentially, we spent most of the morning asleep on various pieces of furniture in our living room. If you would have seen us, you'd think some kind of sleeping sickness had hit, and hit hard.

Anyway, by the time we finally woke up, we were hungry! Famished. I needed some good, solid sustenance to fill my empty stomach. (Luckily, my illness includes a fever and a sore throat but not an upset stomach!)

What better for "one of those days" than a good grilled cheese?

A very good, very beautiful grilled cheese.





Royal Grilled Cheese
-1/4 cup cheese of choice (I used cheddar jack)
-1 slice any other cheese ( I used aged sharp cheddar)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
-basil
-cayenne pepper
-onion salt
-parmesan cheese
-mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
 -2 slices whole wheat bread
-butter
-1 large egg (We have farm fresh on hand at the moment - highly recommend!)


Start off by making the spicy mayonnaise spread. Mix together mayonnaise, cayenne, basil, onion salt, and parmesan cheese to taste. Start with a very little bit of each and increase for more excitement - be careful, though - at the end of the day, it's a grilled cheese, not a mayonnaise sandwich.


Next, take that clove of garlic and use a wide bladed knife to crush it. Just place the knife on top and beat it down with the heel of your hand . . .


until it looks like this.


Now, take that garlic and give the bread slices a good rub down, both sides. 


Using a rubber pastry brush, cover the one side of each slice of bread in olive oil and place it in the skillet, olive-oil side down, and give it a nice toast. On a high setting this takes about 3-4 minutes.


When the olive oil side is good and crispy, cover the other side with olive oil and flip both slices over so that the crispy sides are facing up. Place shredded cheese on one slice and cheese slice on the other. Take down the heat a few notches to allow the cheese to melt without burning the bread. 

Pop the egg in there while you're at it. If it fries up before the cheese is done melting, just pop it on top of one of the slices to keep the yolks from over cooking. 

Mmm, mmm, mmm. That is one very happy looking skillet. 


When both cheeses are melted to perfection and the egg is crispy fried, slather on some spicy mayo, slap it all together and call it good.


Call it great. 




With this recipe as my go-to, I've begun to start hoping that "those days" start to happen most days!

Love, Bella

5 comments :

  1. +JMJ+

    A friend sent me the link to this and I don't know how I can ever thank him. This is a fantastic recipe, a variation of which I'll be trying later. Thanks for sharing it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's exciting! I'm so glad. Let me know how your version turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    It was pretty good, but I didn't manipulate the egg properly and the yolk started running in the skillet. It's more complex that a regular grilled cheese sandwich, so I'll probably only make it on special occasions (or as you call them here, "those days"); but I'm sure it will be a highlight of those times. Thanks again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. Personally, though... I think grilled cheeses MUST be on white bread otherwise you risk venturing into the dangerous area of "gourmet" and as we all know, grilled cheeses were meant for 6 year olds and men in construction hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good variation to try - thanks for that idea! Since I'm neither a 6 year old nor a construction hat wearing man, I thought I'd try something a little different :)

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

All feedback is really appreciated and I try to respond to all comments!