Monday, April 21, 2014

Oatmeal Energy Bars (that were actually a success)

I've had fourish, (I think) if you're into keeping track of how much you eat and stuff. Personally, I think that once your consumed four of anything, be it oatmeal energy bars, Oreos, bowls of ice cream ... you should probably just let loose and stop keeping track, work through whatever feeling you're trying to eat your way out of, and try again tomorrow.

Really, though, I'm pretty sure I've just had four.

Four whats?  you ask.  Based on the title of this post and some subtle context clues (i.e. "be it Oatmeal Energy Bars") you may have guessed that we're talking oatmeal energy bars! Or, if you're like me, you probably figured it out right away and skipped to the recipe part because hello, FOOD!

You may have also deduced from the title that I'm not usually good at these. Virtually every time I've tried to make these in the past, something has gone wrong. They burned. They were under baked. The crumbled to pieces Shen I tried to get them out of the pan. I tried to add vegetable and they were just as gross as that sounds. This time was different. These bars stick together, taste great, fill you up (but not so much that it isn't possible to squeeze fourish of them in your food tank), and even appeal to the taste buds of my teenage brother, who usually turns up his nose at my healthy food baking attempts in favor of barbecue sauce, cheese, sour cream, and as much root beer and cream soda as he can get his hands on.

So if you want these to yourself (cough cough me), keep them a secret. Don't make them while other people are around. And above all, do NOT bring them on your family car trip. Just don't.

Oatmeal Energy Bars
-1 1/2 cups oats
-3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- generous 1/2 cup mashed banana ( that's about half of your average banana)
- 1 egg
-1/2 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mixed berries
- 1/4 cup nuts
- sprinkle of cinnamon

Basically, you can just throw all that in a bowl, mix it up, and throw it in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. When they're cool, store them in the fridge in an airtight container  and they should keep for about a week! If they make it that long ...

Happy bar making!

Love,
Allie



1 comment :

  1. I seriously just made oatmeal energy bars this morning! But they fall under the "crumble to pieces" category. Pinterest failed me. I'll have to try these next!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

All feedback is really appreciated and I try to respond to all comments!